Warning on Iranian Policy on Gaza/West Bank
Senior Iranian leaders are messaging a concerted effort to provide weapons and other support to Palestinians fighting against Israel in Gaza and the West Bank. The messaging comes from the Supreme Leader himself and subordinates who are usually reliable in representing his views. It includes statements that the Supreme Leader and President Hassan Rouhani have issued instructions regarding this support that are being executed. It is possible that Iranian leaders mean to intervene in the current conflict in Gaza in ways that might provoke an escalation or expansion of the fighting.
The occasion for these statements was Qods Day (Jerusalem Day), an annual opportunity for Iranian fulminating about Israel and support for the Palestinian cause. The concreteness of the statements and the centrality of their authors to regime decision-makers, however, merit elevated concern.
The following statements were reported on July 24:
- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei: „We believe that the West Bank must be armed like Gaza.“
- The Basij Organization expressed its „expectation“ that the Rouhani government will send legislation to the Iranian Parliament „urgently“ for „arming the West Bank like Gaza.“
- Mohsen Rezaei, Expediency Discernment Council Secretary and former commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC): „Your fight continues and yourneeded arms and ammunition will reach you even if they come from underneath a rock. Israel’s attack on Gaza will certainly transform into a new intifada…“
- Mohammad Esmail Kowsari, Member of Parliament and former IRGC general: „The Parliament will use all of its capacities to fulfill the Supreme Leader’s orders in this regard.“
- 500 university students in fields related to the missile industry reportedly issued a statement to the IRGC HQ, Artesh HQ, Ministry of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics (MODAFL) HQ, and the Palestinian embassy in Tehran, reaffirming the Supreme Leader’s call to arm the West Bank and pledging to „strengthen the missile capability of the global oppressed front against global blasphemy.“
- Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham announced that the first shipment of Iranian medical and food aid to Gaza, an order issued by President Rouhani, is in Cairo awaiting the Egyptian government’s permission to use the Rafah crossing by Gaza.
The following statements were reported on July 22:
- Brigadier General Mohammad Reza Naghdi, head of the Basij Organization: „It is necessary for popular resistance groups in Palestine, Lebanon, and Syria to sign a defense and security agreement to confront external threats, particularly the present danger of the Zionist regime. Any assault against these countries will be considered an assault on all and they can enter action within the framework of a single unit.“
- The Supreme Leader’s Representative to the IRGC, Hojjat-ol Eslam Ali Saidi: „The support of the Iranian nation and the Supreme Leader of the Resistance have been and will continue to be a turning point in the power and movement of the Resistance. It will be followed by the strengthening of Resistance forces at the regional and the international levels…“
Source: American Enterprise Institute
Veröffentlicht am 25. Juli 2014 in 2014, Empfehlungen, Gesetze, Human Rights, Iran after Election 2013, Medien, Meinungen, Politik und mit Gaza, Gesetze, Human Rights, Iran, Israel, Medien, Menschenrechte, Politik, USA getaggt. Setze ein Lesezeichen auf den Permalink. Kommentare deaktiviert für Warning on Iranian Policy on Gaza/West Bank.